- 1lb tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2lbs poblano peppers, halved, stemmed, and seeded
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved, stemmed, and seeded
- ½ bunch of cilantro, stemmed
- 1 t salt
- 4lbs pork butt, cut into 1 ½” cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T coriander
- 1 T oregano (preferably Mexican oregano) *a little side note, I absolutely despise oregano and avoid using it AT ALL COSTS. So I actually don’t use this seasoning, but I know for most people this is a great ingredient*
- 1 C chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lime (massage and heat in microwave for 30 seconds to get the most juice from it!)
- On a large pan, roast tomatillos, poblanos, and jalapeños under broil for about 5 minutes. Once peppers are blackened, remove from pan and set aside in a paper bag (this will help them sweat, making the skins easier to remove). Flip over tomatillos and roast for another 5 minutes (or until mushy).
- Remove skins from poblanos and jalapeños (no need to be extremely particular, some blackened skin leftover is ok). Add tomatillos, peppers, cilantro, and 1 t salt to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Generously coat pork with salt and a little bit of pepper. Turn on your saute setting using your Instant Pot. Saute pork in olive oil until pork is browned on all edges. Remove from pot and set aside in a bowl.
- In the pork juices, saute onion until it begins to become translucent. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, and oregano. Saute for about 1 more minute.
- Add chicken broth, blended chilies, and pork. Stir until everything is well coated.
- Set your instant pot to manual for 30 minutes.
- After releasing the steam, add the juice of one lime and stir.
- Serve with tortillas, topped with cheese, lime, sour cream, and lettuce!
*This recipe can easily be made without an Instant Pot – use a pan for sauteing steps and add ingredients to a crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours*