As I venture into this journey of discovering a love for my kitchen, I have a major confession: I DESPISE spaghetti. I’m not sure if this has to do with my aversion to tomatoes or the fact that spaghetti was over-served in my vegan household as a child. But one thing is for sure, my husband and future children will be quite deprived of this meal because I’ve never once, nor will I ever make it (willingly that is). Despite this fact, I want to share with all of you an amazing spaghetti sauce recipe…or so everyone says.
- 2 yellow onions
- 10-14 cloves crushed garlic (yup you read that right)
- 1 C chopped mushrooms
- 3/4 C olive oil
- 3-28oz cans crushed tomatoes (according to my dad, this is the key ingredient)
- 2 T dried basil
- 2 T dried parsley
- 2 T oregano
- 1 ½ t salt
- 2 t pepper
- 1 t anise seed
- 1 T sugar
- 1/2 C chopped mushrooms
- Chop onion and mince garlic.
- Sauté onion + garlic + mushrooms in 3/4 C olive oil until onion is translucent
- Add the rest of the ingredients and slowly bring to simmer and let cook for 30 minutes – 1hour.
- Serve over your choice of noodles!